The "Floating Ghouls" are a series of animated Halloween decorations manufactured by Gemmy from 2002 to present day. Each Ghoul or Ghost is suspended from a black pole that hangs almost anywhere. When activated by sound or motion, the Character moves up and down while Blue LED lights shine down on the ghost and makes spooky noises. Ghouls made from 2002 through 2007 have 4 LED lights and 3 motors that move each hand and the head, and those made from 2008 through 2010 have 2 LED lights and 1 motor which controls the head and rails that control the hands. The 2002-2010 poles are made to be broken down in thirds, which makes them easy for storing after the season. Some have LED lights in the eyes for an added effect. Gemmy and Sunstar have rebooted the series for 2017 and are still being made to the present day. These new versions have a smaller pole which cannot be broken down for storage. The ghost is also part of the pole suspended by nylon strings. The bar lights flash blue, unlike the glowing blue bar lights from the 2002-2010 models.
There are single-string models as well, which lack a pole entirely and utilize a mechanism similar to that of a Dropping Skull or Spider. There are many different variants which are listed below.
4 LIGHT MODELS (2002-2007) Edit
- Ghost (Scary) 2002-2007
- Skull (Black Scary Ghost(Walmart Exclusiv)) 2004
- Ghost (Friendly) 2002-2006
- Girl Ghost (Female Ghost) 2004-2006
- Grim Reaper 2004-2007
- Grim Reaper (with red LED eyes) 2005-2007
- Grim Reaper (Skeleton) 2007
- Grim Reaper (Skeleton with green LED eyes). 2007
- Grim Reaper (Chained Skeleton with red LED eyes(Micheals Exclusive)) 2007
- Pirate Skeleton 2006
- Pirate Skeleton (with red LED and swords) 2006-2007
- Skeleton 2005-2007
- Skeleton (with red LED eyes) 2006-2007
- Witch 2007
- Witch (with green LED eyes and pink/purple cloth) 2006-2007
- Phantom (Spencer’s/Spirit Halloween Exclusive) 2007
- Donna The Dead 2007
- Donna The Dead (Bride) 2007
- Zombie Skull (with Red LED eyes) 2007
2 LIGHT MODELS (2008-2010) Edit
- Ghost (Scary) 2008
- Grim Reaper 2008
- Grim Reaper (with Red LED eyes) 2008
- Grim Reaper (Skeleton with Green LED eyes) 2008
- Skeleton (with Red LED eyes) 2008
- Donna The Dead 2008
- Donna The Dead (Bride) 2008
- Donna The Dead (with Blue LED eyes(Michaels Exclusive)) 2008
- Mummy (Target exclusive) 2008-2010
- Skull (Target Exclusive) 2008-2010
SINGLE STRING MODELS (2009-2013) Edit
- Ghost 2009-2010
- Ghost (White Eyes) 2011-2013
- Reaper (Skeleton) 2009-2011
- Reaper (Pumpkin) 2009-2011
- Reaper (Hockey Mask) 2009-2010
RECENT MODELS (2017- ) Edit
- Skeleton (White) 2017
- Skeleton (Black) 2017
- Lady 2017
- Lady (Black Light Bride(Lowe’s Exclusive)) 2017
- Ghoul (Cartoon Ghost) 2018
- Clown (2018)
- Lady (Gothic) 2018
- Lady (Lowe’s Exclusive) 2018
- Phantom (Long Hair) 2019
- Phantom (Faceless) 2019
- Ghost (Man) 2019
2002 1.Scary Ghost 2.Friendly Ghost 2003 1.Scary Ghost 2.Friendly Ghost 2004 1.Scary Ghost 2.Black Scary Ghost 3.Friendly Ghost 4.Girl Ghost 5.Grim Reaper 2005 1.Scary Ghost 2.Friendly Ghost 3.Girl Ghost 4.Grim Reaper 5.Grim Reaper LED eyes 6.Skeleton 2006 1.Scary Ghost 2.Friendly Ghost 3.Girl Ghost 4.Grim Reaper 5.Grim Reaper LED eyes 6.Skeleton 7.Skeleton LED eyes 8.Pirate 9.Pirate LED eye and swords 10.Witch LED eyes pink/purple cloth 2007 1.Scary Ghost 2.Grim Reaper 3.Grim Reaper LED eyes 4.Skeleton Reaper 5.Skeleton Reaper LED eyes 6.Witch 7.Witch LED eyes pink/purple cloth 8.Skeleton 9.Skeleton LED eyes 10.Pirate LED eyes and swords 11.Skeleton Reaper LED eyes and chains 12.Phantom 13.Donna The Dead 14.Donna The Dead Bride 2008 1.Scary Ghost 2.Grim Reaper 3.Grim Reaper LED eyes 4.Skeleton Reaper LED eyes 5.Skeleton LED eyes 6.Mummy 7.Skull with hair 8.Donna The Dead 9.Donna The Dead Bride 10.Donna The Dead LED eyes and black gauze 2009 1.Mummy 2.Skull with hair 2010 1.Mummy 2.Skull with hair 2017 1.White Skeleton 2.Black Skeleton 3.Lady 4.Bride Lady 2018 1.Scar Mouth Lady 2.Cartoony Ghost
- There are three floating ghost series: the originals, which ran from 2002 to 2010, the Single String Ghosts, which ran from 2009 to 2013, and the new series, which ran from 2017 to present day.
- From 2009 to 2013, floating ghosts suspended by a single string were produced by Gemmy. These ghosts lacked a pole altogether and instead used a dropping skull mechanism that lowered them up and down in a floating motion. It is possible Gemmy switched to single string models during the last year's of the first floating ghost series because they were cheaper to make.
- The Pumpkin Reaper and the Ghost from the Spirit Halloween exclusive line were later rereleased with less quality.
- The Pumpkin Reaper's rerelease had a noticeably less detailed face molded in thinner plastic, a worse paint application, and entirely different hand molds.
- The box of the Floating Female Ghost just calls it the "Floating Ghost" but it does more closely resemble the Bride of Frankenstein than a ghost.
- The Floating Female Ghost is the only Floating Ghoul to have any eyebrows.
- The Floating Witch's face mold was also used for the Shaking Spirits Witch and the Hallo-Wings Witch.
- Outside the USA, the white Donna the Dead was sold at ASDA, in the Uk.
- The Hockey Mask Ghost has an exclusive head mold; no other Gemmy props to date have used the hockey mask design seen on this prop.
- The Red, Purple and Black Floating Zombies are prototypes. It is possible only one of each version exists.
- 2017-present ghosts are manufactured by Gemmy's sister company, Sunstar Industries. Despite this, they are still actually made by Gemmy.
- Since their reboot in 2017, the floating ghosts have has major upgrades from their original counterparts. They now have smaller poles that are already assembled (the originals had poles that came in two pieces), they seem to be larger than the originals, and they seem to be more sturdy, to name a few differences.
- The Floating ghosts are one of the most popular halloween lines in the Gemmy fan base. Prior to their reboot in 2017, fans consistently asked Gemmy to release them again after they were initially discontinued in 2010. It is well possible that the reason the ghouls were brought back is solely because of the high demand for a reboot.
- The 2019 long haired phantom bears resemblance to Samara from the movie 'the Ring'. It is possible the character was an inspiration to the ghost.